Spouse members

Your spouse can open a Water Corporation Superannuation Plan account even if they've never worked for the Water Corporation.

They can enjoy:

  • Solid investment returns - top quartile returns for past 5 years
  • Low fees from a not-for-profit fund
  • Personalised service
  • Competitive group insurance
  • Access to Water Corp Super Retirement Options
  • Access to discounted financial advice, banking products and health coverage.

Who can contribute to your spouse's account?

  • Your spouse
  • Your spouse's employer (after completing Participating Employer Application Form)
  • You - via Water Corporation payroll or cheque or by splitting contributions from your own account.
  • The Government for any super co-contributions or other superannuation contributions.
  • Your spouse's other super funds by consolidating other funds into their new account.

How do I open an account?

To open an account for your spouse, you need to have a Water Corporation Super Plan account yourself and be currently working at Water Corporation.

After reading the Product Disclosure Statement, complete the Application Form and return it to Payroll. Attach a cheque or nominate for contributions to be made directly from your or your spouse's employer. Your spouse can also roll over any super held elsewhere into their new account.

If your spouse would like their employer to contribute to their new account, they also need have their employer complete a Participating Employer Application Form.

You don't have to be married to have a spouse account

A "spouse" is:

  • A person of the same or of a different sex, who lives with the member on a genuine domestic basis in a relationship as a couple (known as a de-facto spouse)
  • A husband or wife or person with whom the member is in a relationship that is registered under certain state or territory laws (including registered same-sex relationships)

You must declare that your spouse is defined by one of the above clauses at the time they join the Plan and you would undertake to make no contributions to the account of that person if he/she ceased to be your spouse.

You must also declare that if your spouse is between age 65-69, that he/she was gainfully employed for at least 40 hours over a period of 30 consecutive days in the financial year in which the contributions are being made.

What insurance cover can my spouse hold in the plan?

A spouse may apply for:

  • Death only or
  • Death and Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD) cover in the Plan (for working* spouses).

Salary Continuance insurance is not available to Spouse members.

Death and TPD is available in multiples of $50,000 to a maximum amount of $300,000. You cannot hold a different level of Death insurance to your TPD cover.

*TPD cover is only available to spouses who have worked more than 15 hours a week for the previous 6 months.

Use the insurance calculator in the quick links above to get a quote on the competitive insurance fees. The premium rates that apply are also detailed in the Product Disclosure Statement. Premiums will be deducted from your spouse's account on a monthly basis.

Insurance cover for a spouse is subject to completion of a brief questionnaire giving details in relation to his/her health. Upon receipt of the application by the insurer they will assess the application and determine if further medical information is required. The administrator will contact your spouse if further information or medical testing is required. Until accepted, the insurance cover does not commence.

How can my spouse contribute to their account?

From their employer

Have their employer complete a Participating Employer Application Form.
Superannuation Guarantee (currently 9.5%) can then be paid directly into your spouse's account by their employer. Salary sacrifice or after tax payments also be made directly from their salary subject to your Spouse's employer allowing this to occur.

Directly from your spouse

Your spouse can also make after-tax contributions to their account by attaching a cheque with the Application Form or by completing and returning the Lump Sum Contribution Form along with the payment.

Is your spouse a low income earner?

If you make spouse contributions on behalf of your spouse you may be eligible for a tax offset. If your spouse is not working or earns less than $13,800 pa, you may able to claim up to $540 each financial year.

  • You did not claim a tax deduction for the contributions.
  • Both you and your spouse were Australian residents when the contributions were made. At the time of making the contributions you and your spouse were not living separately and apart on a permanent basis.
  • The sum of your spouse's assessable income, including total reportable fringe benefits amounts and reportable employer super contributions (RESC) for the financial year, was less than $13,800.
  • The contribution was made to a super fund which was a complying fund in the income year in which you made the contribution.

Admission of your spouse to the Plan does not guarantee your ability to claim a tax offset for a contribution you make for that person to the Plan. You would need to take the matter up with the Australian Taxation Office if an offset claimed in your personal tax return was rejected.

How do I make a contribution on behalf of my spouse?

You may make contributions for your spouse either as a lump sum or by regular payroll deduction.

To Make a Contribution as a Lump Sum

Complete and return a Spouse Lump Sum Contribution Form and payment for the amount of the contribution you wish to make.

To Make Contributions by Regular Payroll Deduction

Complete and return the Application Form with the payroll deduction details.

Split Your Contributions after the End of the Financial Year

If you want to increase your spouse's super savings with some of your own, this can be done once a year in accordance with ATO regulations. When you split your contributions, you transfer or rollover a portion of contributions from your super account, to your spouse's super account.

There is a $75 fee payable for each request for contribution splitting. The fee is deducted from your account at the time of the split.

Complete and return the Contribution Splitting Form.

Can I change the rate at which the contributions are paid for my spouse?

You may start, stop or change the rate at which you are making contributions to the Plan for your spouse at any time. To change these contributions, complete and return a Change in Details Form.